Are You A Victim Of Domestic Violence? What To Know Now

If you have been in a relationship where you have been experiencing domestic abuse, and you aren't sure where to go, the first place you need to go is a lawyer. You need to protect yourself from the person who is abusing you, and you need to find out if you can get the protection that you need from the law while you are going through the case. Here are some of the things that you want to do right away, to get the case moving and so you can be safe:

Deliver Your Proof

Meet with a lawyer to give them all of the proof that you have for your case. They will take the evidence against the abuser and use it to start working on your case right away. They will tell you if the information that you have is enough to prosecute the abuser that you are taking action against, and what other types of evidence you have to provide for the case. Your lawyer will be the most important person helping you.

Get a No Contact and Restraining Order

If there is enough proof right away, the lawyer can file or meet with a judge right away to get a no contact or restraining order put in place. This way the abuser can't call, text, show up at your house or attack you online. They are to have no contact with you at all, and if they do, they will end up with legal problems and can face criminal charges.

Find Security

It doesn't matter if it's a new security system if you get a dog or a roommate, or if you have cameras installed around your home, you need to find a way to protect yourself in case the person that is harming you decides to come to face you. You want to be sure that you aren't in danger, and that you can protect yourself if you need to.

There are a lot of reasons why you may be afraid to take action against someone who is physically and mentally abusing you, but you need to get protection from the domestic violence, so you don't have to continue living your life in fear. You want to go and get legal protection as soon as you can, and you want to do it before you end up getting hurt or worse by the abuser. 

Contact an attorney like Gonzales, Joe D for more information and assistance.